Abortion can have severe effects on once physical and mental health. Even though medical science has advanced to an extent, issues that comes along after abortion are unavoidable. Effect of your abortion on your mental health are quite high and will need some time to get better whereas the physical part can be cured if you start taking good care of yourself. Recovery from an abortion is possible but it takes a lot of patience and determination.
Side effects of an abortion
- Bleeding: This one can cause a lot of complication, during the procedure of abortion even if done by a professional a lot of blood is lost from the blood vessels between the placenta and the uterus. The bleeding could persist for a long time and could become heavier too.
- Discharge: If your vaginal discharge has a foul smell it could be due to an infection in the uterus, fallopian tube or the vagina. It could lead to pelvic inflammatory diseases, and you should get it treated immediately before it could cause any more infection.
- Cramping: If the abortion has taken place after 12 weeks, cramping is common in such cases. Severe pelvic pain is also a sign of infection in the body. It could cause a lot of discomfort after an abortion and if it gets out of hands it should be reported to your doctor immediately.
- Body temperature: If you are getting a fever after an abortion it is due to the various changes in your body. Your body’s temperature remains quite high but if it exceeds more than 100.4 Degree Celcius it should be checked.
- Others: A woman could experience septic shock post-abortion. The symptoms for this side effect include chills, abdominal pain, fever
andlow blood pressure. Symptoms such as abdominal pain, bleeding and fever are also indicators of uterine perforation.
Emotions after an abortion
Abortion leaves a strain on couples, different women react differently to the procedure some feel a sense of relief whereas some feel regret. It is better to acknowledge your feelings as you would acknowledge any other health issue. If your sense of regret is not acknowledged on an early stage it could lead to long severe depression.
Health after an abortion
Post-abortion, your periods should resume after three to six weeks unless you are taking birth control pills. Your menstrual cycle will be accompanied by cramping during the first one or two weeks. If you have unprotected sex before your period start it could to pregnancy.
Medication after an abortion
To prevent any complication doctors will recommend Azithromycin and Flagyl. Methergine and Ergotamine are helpful in bringing the uterus back to its original size. This tablet has to be taken every eight hours. You will also experience a lot of physical pain and cramping, and Norco or Ibuprofen will help you to ease the pain. A single tablet must be taken every 8 hours along with a glass of milk or food.
Care after an abortion
- Use contraceptive: To avoid any more unwanted pregnancy. Your body is in an enhanced fertility stage due to hormonal changes. Also, consider abstaining from sex for two weeks so that your body recovers.
- Eating right: A lot of blood is lost during the procedure and it is important to eat right to bounce back. Add food that is high in nutrients and consume 8-9 glasses of water and increase the intake of proteins and vitamins.
- Infection: You should consult your doctor if you have a fever or if you break into cold sweats. An irregular and smelly discharge is also a sign of an infection in the vagina or uterus.
- Tender breast: Post-abortion, your breasts will feel tender and heavy. This can last for about two weeks and it is best to wear well-fitting bras during this time. Do not stimulate your breasts during this period.
- Bleeding: You will experience bleeding which is the body’s natural way of recovering from the procedure. But if the flow is quite heavy, you should get in touch with your doctor as it could be an infection.
Get plenty rest to get your body to recover and keep away from activity. Increased activity will cause cramping or bleeding, so avoid any exercise. Follow it up with a pelvic examination after four weeks of the abortion.